The Question ….

I’m just looking for a bit of advice really. I’ve found a property that I would like to buy in Manchester, but I hear from friends, family and have read online somewhere that I need to use a local solicitor or conveyancer to handle this for me. Is this true?
— Julie from Manchester

The Answer ….

Quite simply the answer is NO.

Your conveyancing can be conducted from a distance as most of the work these days, is handled either online, or via email. Your conveyancer will require certain things to carry out your conveyancing for you. They will usually require the following personal details of everyone involved in the property purchase:

  • Full name, address and contact details
  • Address history (The last 3 years usually)
  • Proof of Identification (Usually a photo driving license or a copy of your passport)

It is typical for a solicitor yo ask for money / payment on account or money upfront before carrying out any conveyancing work. Quite often this money is used to cover the cost of disbursements (ID Checks, Searches, Land Registry Enquiries etc.) and is credited against your conveyancing quote that you had received originally.

Previous post

How much can I borrow?

Next post

Furniture Solutions for your New Home